Friday, March 16, 2012

My first Pinterest DIY.

A month or so ago, before Noah was even born, I was wasting time on Pinterest and came across these adorable alphabet art plaques.

{via Pinterest}

They fit in perfectly with my nautical nursery theme (reveal coming soon, I swear!) and I couldn't resist tracking down the source for these letters. Well, of course, like everything I fall in love with, it comes from Pottery Barn Kids and cost a mere $99. Yeah, I'm cheap so that was not about to happen.

As any good blogger and pinner would do, I decided I would try to DIY these fancy letters and headed out to Michael's in search of some canvases. Luckily, I already had a ton of acrylic paint and some paint pens I could use so I picked up a cheap pack of four 8x10 canvases for $14.99 and got started!


I started by painting the background a pretty Tiffany blue. (There's probably some other way to describe this color but really, to me, it's always Tiffany blue. Right girls?)

And then I got to work painstakingly drawing the letters. I started by lightly sketching each letter with pencil, using the Pottery Barn image as a reference, then filled in my pencil marks with blue paint. I'm glad I used a paint pen for this because using a brush would probably have resulted in disaster. 

 


Finally, it was just a matter of adding a few finishing touches and we had some wall art for the nursery!



I'm ecstatic with how they came out and have already been requested to make a set for a friend. Have you tackled any DIY projects that were inspired by Pinterest?









37 comments:

Jessica Lynn said...

That looks so fantastic! Great, great job!

Syndal said...

Wow! That turned out so cute!

Cece @ Dill Pickle Picnic said...

How cute! I like the ones you made better than the PB ones.

Christy said...

Those are ADORABLE! I agree, those are better than the PB ones. I see the start of an etsy shop in the future :)

Amber said...

I'm so impressed! They look great! Can't wait to see the nursery reveal. :)

ErinMSW said...

They look awesome! Definitely looking forward to the nursery reveal!

Hannah said...

Love. These are really cute. I can see an etsy shop in your future ;)

worriesandwisdom.com said...

These are so so cute!

lavenderpug said...

that is so cute--you did an awesome job!

J and A said...

Amazing!!! They turned out great!!! Can't wait to see the nursery!

Layla said...

It's perfect!

Jennifer B said...

AHHH that came out SO SO SO good!!!

Morgan said...

These are so adorable! I like yours even better than your inspiration, because it has his name!

Amanda said...

That is SO CUTE! I love it!

Amy said...

Move on over Pottery Barn! Amazing job!! and SO cute!

elizalouise.bell said...

Look at you being all crafty! :):):)

Neely said...

AMAZING! Turned out great!

Carolyn said...

OMG! THEY'RE SO CUTE!!! Seriously! Good job! :)

Leigh said...

Look at you go! They turned out fantastic! :) Hope you have a great weekend

fromscratchblog said...

WOW - you did such a great job! :) I love it!

Maria said...

Um, I think you need to make ME one, haha. With palm trees and turtles of course ;)

Rebekah said...

That is really cute! You did a great job!

Nicole said...

Oh I love it and you have WAY more talent than I do!

Meagan said...

Beyond cute!!!!

KatiePerk said...

Fantastic! You are quite the artist!!

Lindsey @ Running Down A Dream said...

Where is your etsy shop, girl?! LOVE this!

Smiling is Good for Your Teeth said...

I LOVE THIS!!! What a great idea and it looks awesome! You did a great job!

Amanda said...

They look awesome! You did such a fantastic job! You go girl!

Katie said...

You did a great job! They look terrific! DIY- WELL DONE!

Meg {henninglove} said...

this is such a great project. i haven't seen it on pinterest and your version turned out great!! seriously you did a wonderful job, it is so cute for a boy's room

Jen said...

OMG You did an amazing job! I loveeeee it!!!

Emily said...

WOW!!! What a great craft & idea! Yours turned out great. I LOVE nautical stuff so I will have to do this! :)

Kelsey said...

Damn those look so good!! Can't wait to see them up in the nursery.

Sara Pierce said...

so cute!!!

marissa said...

Way to go, Jess! They look fantastic! Too cute! =]

Painting/drawing is one skill that I'm always sad I don't possess. If I had attempted this, it would have turned out looking like a Jackson Pollock. :/

Kristen said...

these are adorable! great job!

Tiffany said...

That's awesome!! You did a great job.

Post a Comment