Monday, June 6, 2011

We Like to Party

We do, we really like to party and this weekend, we did. But before we get to the festivities and the 935 gifts the mom-to-be received, let's rewind to Friday night. You know, the night we made around 300 party favors for my cousins baby shower guests. That's right, I didn't stutter. I said 300. And they all came out awesome if I might add.

What were these favors we so diligently and painstakingly assembled? I'll give you a hint, most of them came on sticks.


Kristin, my sister and the guest of honor Nicole, working their poor fingers to the bone while I play blogger to document the day. There were many cake pops, s'more pops, Oreos and pretzels that needed to be covered in chocolate, so to work they  we went. 


My cousin Kristin, above, seems to be a little unsure of her chocolate dipping skills. (Yes, there are two.) 


Finally, after about 6 hours of dipping, drizzling, and dunking, we could admire the fruits of our labor. Above, the s'more pops. Below, chocolate covered Oreo's. Nom.



The one and only image of a finished cake pop I could find. There may or may not be a batch of these made at my house very soon. The leftovers were a hit at work today. And I'm only slightly grumpy about the fact that my last chocolate Oreo got eaten. Jerks.

After a good nights sleep, we were up bright and early to get the church reception hall set up for the main event. Around one o'clock, we hauled two car loads of food and decorations, set up for a few hours, cleaned up, cooked and were finally ready to party at four. The guests were starting to stream in so we sat back, had a slice of cake and enjoyed all our hard work.


We utilized space the best that we could and asked the guests to place their gifts on the stage. This ended up working well because folks could browse through and spy on all the baby booty.


The beautiful mom to be.

Since the invitation specified that the gifts should be left unwrapped, it gave everyone time to work on the crafts. Who doesn't like to get a little messy?



The "paint your own onesie" station was a huge hit. We provided plain white onesies (purchased at Ross for a steal) in different sizes and basically told folks to have at it and the results were pretty cute!




I even got a chance to join in on the fun and decorate a building block for the little man. Oh, and by the way, all those little wooden blocks? They were made for us free of charge by our carpentry class at the school I work at. Out of scrap lumber. And did I mention free?


The paint we used was on sale at Michael's too so I'd say this craft was a major win.

After we all had our fill of painting, it was time to eat. The spread was delicious, as it usually is at all of our family functions. We had meatballs, cold cuts, veggies, macaroni and cheese, potato salad, hot dogs and countless other items I can't remember.

 

And finally, the sweets. The pops and pretzel favors were a huge hit. Thankfully, and forcefully, people were taking them home by the handfuls.


We had an amazing time and can't wait to welcome the little one in the next month or so... and then do this whole sha-bang over again for my sister in the Fall.

I told ya, we like to party!



37 comments:

Julia said...

Oh my GOODNESS! Cake pops AND CRAFTING?! Best shower ever. She is lucky to have hostesses like you ladies! Looks like y'all had a blast :)

Layla said...

The onesie painting station is just about the cutest thing I've EVER seen. Those pops...in all forms....look AMAZING. Y'all rock at this!

Maria said...

The onsies! The blocks! The cakepops! Love, Love, LOVE! Sounds like the best baby shower I've never been to :P

Carolyn said...

Looks like a great time!! Those treats look SO yummy!!! :) I love onesy decorating at showers!!!

Laura said...

That is probably the coolest baby shower I've ever seen! The amazing food, the incredible treats, all of the activities, and the decor - awesome! Love it!

Megan said...

This is the cutest shower ever!! I'm so mad that I wasn't invited...I want a favor! Haha.

Amy said...

looks like an AMAZING shower!!! and delicious! haha

{the.sassy.wife} said...

I love the "design a onesie" idea! I want my baby shower {whenever it may be} to have that!! So cool.

Anni said...

The cake! And the cake pops! I love it all. :)

David and Elizabeth said...

oh goodness all those goodness look amazing! :)

Nicole J @ Knocked Up said...

It certainly was the best baby shower EVER! It only took 5 months to plan and 2 weeks to execute lol. You girls are amazing and I wouldn't have been able to do it without you. I love you kids tons and tons!

Christy said...

That cake cracks me up and the cake pops look delicious! I may have drooled a little.

Deepali said...

Amazing! The food and favors look fabulous and I love those decorating blocks, such a neat idea! I wish you girls had hosted my baby shower ;-)

Amanda said...

That looks like a fantastic shower!

Ashley said...

Everything looks amazing, great job! I may or may not need to do some of the oreos and pretzels...mmmmm...

Mrs. Adventure said...

Everything looks amazing, you are now in charge of my future childrens showers :o)

Jessica said...

Y'all did a great job on everything! Cake balls are so time consuming to make, so I feel your pain there!

Jennifer B said...

You're going to host my baby shower, mmkay?

MichelleK said...

I'm super glad you didn't make anyone eat fake poo! Sad I didn't get to go! Also, bring me some cake pops mom!

steph c said...

Everything looks amazing!! Especially those smore pops, mmm. And that cake kind of cracks me up, lol. Too funny!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

All that food looks SO yummy!

kelsey said...

Oh my gosh, everything looks so yummy!! You all did such a great job. And, smore pops??? Um...I need one of those!

J and A said...

OMG you guys rock!!! This is awesome!!! :) Wow.

conventionalbliss said...

hoaa you rock, can't believe the pics, those cakepops look delish and the crafting looks like so much fun! need to get on my wknd recap mannnn LOL

lavenderpug said...

holy moly that's quite the baby shower! i love the idea of decorating onesies and blocks for the new baby. and damn look at all that food!

Nicole said...

You are so throwing me a baby shower someday if I never need one :)... no really looks like you guys did an excellent job!

Erika said...

Darn you, I now am dying for a chocolate covered marshmellow. Those treats look delish. And the shower looks like it was a hit! How fun!!

Thanks for the well wishes I'm better every day a little more. :)

Morgan said...

So many yummy treats! That looks like an absolutely fabulous shower, and so much fun to attend!

Neely said...

Ummm this shower looks amazeballs and so fun!

Amazing Fabulous Wedding said...

What a beautiful party!! I am so impressed. So much hard work and love went into this. Hope you had a fabulous time and those treats look super yummy!!!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

The cake balls and treats were FOR SURE a hit I am sure!!! All the desserts looked tasty!

Leigh said...

That seriously looks like the best shower ever!

Claire Gallam said...

This looks like fun and that food? Yum. You are a great cousin :)

Dancy said...

Holy cow that all looks so awesome! We're thinking of having a BBQ this summer... I'm thinking s'mores pops might have to be on the menu. Those look so adorable - I'd never have even thought of it!

fromscratchblog said...

Wow - you did such a great job with the shower! I love the block painting & the onesie decorating - such cute ideas! And, those pictures of the chocolate-dipped goodies are making me hungry! :)

Sean Marie said...

Aw! That cake is so 'dorable! :)

Hilary Lane said...

Okay, I just searched for like an hour for this post! But I'm so glad I found it again. I really want to do these for a party I'm having in August. Do you have the recipes/tips/tricks/how-to for these three desserts??

Post a Comment