Friday, October 8, 2010

Fun Fridays: Ipad Envy

Today is Fun Friday over on Jen's blog. Click on over to link up!

Fun Fridays

I'm so glad it's finally the weekend. Even though  I was off on Monday, it feels like the last four days have gone by so slowly! 

We don't have much fun stuff planned for the weekend, but hopefully I'll get a chance to hang out with my best friend Katie, who will be in town for the homecoming game at Bridgewater College, her alma mater. I might tag along with the hubs to the high school football game too, which is tonight, but I'm not a huge football fan. Being a person with ADD, (self diagnosed of course) I find it difficult to sit through one game let alone two in one weekend. We'll see though.

Kevin has so much patience with me. I have no idea what is going on during the game but he answers my questions just the same. I think he wants me to become a big fan like he is so I'll start going to the Virginia Tech games... no such luck babe. I just want to know who wins so I can collect the winnings from the bets I placed.

Oh, I was reading the local news this morning and it seems that our county school system is debating on whether students should use iPads instead of textbooks. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Maybe I'm slightly jealous that we didn't have anything like this when I was a kid? Yet on the other hand, it would be so much more convenient to students. Carrying all those heavy books around can be a pain in the ass.



The article didn't specify whether the classrooms would just have a set for kids to borrow or whether each student would actually GET one. I would assume they would just be lent an iPad. I can't figure out where the money comes from for this kind of thing but technology is constantly changing, it'll be interesting to find out what happens.

Do you have kids? What do you think? iPad or traditional books?


11 comments:

peachyplum said...

My co-worker's friend has one for her 2yr old! It's crazy! I'm jealous too. While I think it's a great idea, I don't know if kids would handle it with care. I mean, who didn't drop their backpack on the floor without a care when they got home from school?

Alycia (Crowley Party) said...

I say Traditional books.... but I am going to school to be a teacher and apparently technology is the new way! It is what the younger generation are relating to!

Jen said...

Oh my gosh; I can't believe it! I guess it makes sense; carrying all those books around can get heavy but boy am I envious!

Hilary Lane said...

Those things would be trashed in a second!!

Rachael @ Mrs-Adventure said...

Hummm I hate to sound like the "old" lady seeing as though I'm only 26... but I digress I would hate to see books replaced with the iPad. But I'm the one that is against a kindle because I love the smell and feeeeeel of a book :+) Not to mention kids would totally destroy them!

kjpugs said...

Uhhhh iPad "books?" Have they seen Pioneer Woman's blog and what happens when you DROP them? I forsee 100's of broken iPads within a year. Maybe all. Ugh, stupid wasteful schools.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

My husband is on the hunt for an iPad, and I haven't given in yet!!!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

I just had to update you that hubs dragged me into Apple to hunt for an iPad!

Maria said...

I am a teacher and I say that BOTH are appropriate and great! Why not? Keep your libraries, but why keep killing trees if we don't have to? The kids love them, they are more cost-efficient in the long run, and if they are treated well, will last a while!

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

Wow, an iPad in the classroom.

In the long run I bet it'd be a good idea. Think about how expensive textbooks are and how they need to eventually be replaced.

I don't know... maybe a good idea?

Mireya said...

Oh, so not fair - I hated dragging around my textbooks and sometimes even my laptop!

Post a Comment