Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11/01

I know I posted almost every day this week and I was going to take a break today but I can't help but jot down the words that are in my brain.

Other bloggers posted where they were while some just posted a single picture but each one got my mind thinking, I'm sitting here in my comfy house with my dog and my husband, and realize how many people don't have these things, and it's not their fault. Nine years ago today was 9/11/2001. NINE YEARS. It seems so long ago but it's engraved in my head like it was yesterday.

I was a sophomore in high school and in my first class of the day. U.S. History. Isn't it ironic? I couldn't stand having that class every single day, it was hard. The teacher did not go easy on you and I barely squeaked by on c's. To be honest, I can't remember anyone that was in my class except my sister's husband.

I'm not sure what we were doing in class but all of a sudden, the classroom T.V. set came on and I thought to myself, that's funny, Channel 1 had already played (that was the school wide news channel) I realized that we were watching the local news, not anything school produced. One of the students went to turn off the set and the teacher told him to stop... then we knew it was bad. We sat and watched as the first tower burned as the newscasters talked about the possibilities of what could have happened. After a few minutes, a second plane came into the camera shot and the whole world saw the second tower get hit. This is no coincidence, this is for real. America is the target and these planes were the weapons.

Class soon dismissed and the halls were quieter than usual. Murmurs about what had happened clouded the school. By the end of the day two more planes had gone down. One group of courageous men and women on flight number 93 somehow stopped their plane from landing in DC, it was due to arrive within a half an hour but went down in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. When I learned that Flight 77 hit the Pentagon, I didn't know what to think. With the magnitude of these attacks, what could happen next?

The day ended and our president pleaded with the country to come together as one and we did. The United States of America has become, in fact, UNITED. United against terror, against enemies and against all odds, we stand strong.

To this day, we need to thank every single service man and woman. Those police officers, fire fighters and military personnel answered their call on 9/11 and if it weren't for them, we would be nowhere.


A huge thank you to my dad and my uncles who are veterans. We are the land of the free because of the brave.

3 comments:

Brittany said...

goosebumps!

Thanks for writing this!

kjpugs said...

I so agree... it is important to remember. And this was really well written.

Jessica said...

Thanks, it just...came out. Not sure how else to put it.

Post a Comment